General Items

Random Newspaper Articles

Elsa Kelly has searched many newspapers while she has been researching the greater Pye Family Tree. She has come across some interesting articles in various subjects. Below are samples of some she has found.

From The “Geraldine Guardian” for 25th January 1896
shows - The Westport Coal Company have chartered the barque Coromandel, now on her way from Newcastle to Wellington, to load coal at Westport for Valparaiso for orders. This will the first vessel depatched from a New Zealand port to South America with a coal cargo.

From the “Evening Post” for 9th May 1914

1. It is reported from the Hospital today that Charles Payton, the telegraph messenger who was thrown from his bicycle in Cuba street, and had his skull fractured, has undergone an operation, and is now doing fairly well.

2. The condition of Charles Blake, the boy injured in a lift accident some days ago, is improving.

3. Yesterday afternoon Henry Jacka, aged 35, a single man, slipped while tending a chaff cutter at the Upper Hutt, and falling on the revolving knife, was badly gashed on the buttock. He was removed to the Hospital.
Back to top

From the “Evening Post” for 19 June 1922
(By Telegraph,–Press Association) AUCKLAND, This Day
The inquiry into the wreck of the Wiltshire opened today, before Mr Cutten, S.M., and Captains Reid and Fleming, assessors. Mr Mays appeared for the Marine Department. He said the only person cited was Captain Hayward. There were three witnesses who could throw a good deal of light on the navigation aspect, and certain important questions of fact, but all these person were weatherbound on the East Coast. It was desirable that these witnesses should be heard before the captain was called. He suggested an adjournment till tomorrow. Mr May added that it was commonly supposed that the ship had run two days at least on dead reckoning, but Captain Hayward’s statement to the Collector of Customs removed that altogether. He stated that he ascertained his position at midday on 31st May for longitude and 8 am for latitude, and was able to fix his position on the day of the casualty. That fact, if it was a fact, changed the position from a navigation point of view. They had at the last moment to get the best evidence available to establish or refute certain possibilities arising from the fact that he had ascertained his position astronomically eleven and a half hours before the casualty. There was over £750 000 work of ship and cargo involved, and 102 lives, beside his own, were jeopardised.

Mr Meredith, for Captain Hayward, complained that no notification had been given him regarding the witnesses on whose behalf the adjournment was applied for. He asked to be supplied with there names.

Mr Mays said there was no precedent for giving this information. The defence was not entitled to know what case the Crown was setting up. As a matter of fact, Captain Hayward’s casualty report did not disclosed that he had obtained an astronomical sight on 31st May, although when he was asked if he had come in on dead reckoning, he quite frankly stated that he obtained the sight, and the information was written on the paper. He was not prepared to go on today, because one of the delayed witnesses was to give evidence on the very foundation case.

Mr Meredith had no objection to the adjournment, as he wished to get some of the officers’ books still remaining on the Wiltshire.

The Court then adjourned until tomorrow.

The Case Continues The Following Day
The Court of inquiry into the wreck of the Wiltshire was resumed this morning. Mr Mays, counsel for the Marine Department, in opening his case, said that Captain Hayward in his casualty return to the Department, stated that he got sights and was able to ascertain his position astronomically on 31st May, the date of the wreck. His position was then 161½ nautical miles away from the point at which the vessel struck. On working the course, and from the positions given by Captain Hayward, it would be found that when the ship struck she was twenty miles out of her course in the westerly aspect. This was attributed by Captain Hayward to an exceptional set of current, which, he said, had carried the vessel out of her course. Counsel contended that the history of the currents in the vicinity failed to disclose any such exceptional set, and it was for the captain to show circumstances and conditions which would justify his contention that an extraordinary set of currents carried the ship out of her course.

Evidence of Charts
Mr Mays referred to the charts, and said that any set of current was rather an easterly set; and the weather reports from Cuvier Island immediately preceding the wreck were not such as to show any exceptionally high wind that would tend to carry the vessel out of her course in that respect, and were not such as were likely to cause any exceptional westerly current, as was alleged by Captain Hayward. Mr Mays said he would also bring evidence by masters of vessels in the vicinity of Cuvier Island light during the time involved, showing that the light was burning continuously and was in good order.

Expert Witnesses
Captain T Attwood, Superintendent of Mercantile Marine at Auckland, said that on 6th June Captain Hayward provided him with a casualty return regarding the loss of the Wiltshire. On 12th June, at witness’s request, the captain wrote in the position of the ship at midday on 31st May. Captain Hayward remarked that he had nothing to hide. Witness said he had no information regarding a strong set at Cuvier Island. To Mr Meredith; Captain Hayward had visited witness’s office on Monday after landing at Auckland from the wreck, and had given the information frankly. In reply to Mr Meredith, Mr Mays said it was not at any time suggested that Captain Hayward had withheld any information.

Course Argued on Figures
William Whiteford, master mariner and examiner at Auckland for masters’ and mates’ certificate, said he had previously been engaged on the Tutanekai and the Hinemoa. For two or three year he was connected with lighthouse work. He had examined the casualty return furnished by Captain Hayward. It put his location at midday on 31st May at 35 degrees 35 minutes south, and 178 degrees 45 minutes east. The course set was south 72½ degrees west. The time and course steered would have taken the vessel 44 miles south of Cape Barrier. The Wiltshire was wrecked a little over 2½ miles to the northward of the cape. The casualty return showed that the vessel struck at 11.30 pm, ship’s apparent time, which would be about 19 minutes ahead of New Zealand time.

Condition of Cuvier Light
The vessel had been steaming for 11 hours and 38 minutes since midday, and had covered 161½ miles, or 13.9 miles per hour. If she had kept to the course steered, the Wiltshire would have passed within five miles and a quarter of Cuvier light. On the course made she was within 11frac12; miles of it. Cuvier light had a range of 26 miles, and should have been visible at 30 miles. On 6th June he visited Cuvier and inspected the light. It was in good working order, and he saw nothing that would lead him to believe that the light had recently been out of order. The three keepers were perfectly reliable men, and he found nothing to lead him to suppose that the light was not working on 31st May. Captain Whiteford further said that, fifty minutes before striking, the steamer would be about eleven miles from the Great Barrier.

The Alleged Currents
Mr Mays pointed out that the captain’s casualty report stated that an exceptionally strong current had set the ship about twenty miles west of her supposed position. Witness replied that he had never heard of a strong easterly set in the vicinity of Cuvier Island. The New Zealand Pilot of 1919 stated that the currents were weak, while the Admiralty charts showed them to be south and east. Mr Mays said he did not propose to examine this witness further until Captain Hayward was in the box. He might then wish to call Captain Whiteford in rebuttal or to explain the exact position set up by the master. Mr Meredith asked for an adjournment till the afternoon. It was, he said, extremely difficult to hear and follow the courses set out by the witness, and the estimates of distances. He would, therefore, like to have an opportunity of going through this before he cross examined the witness. Mr Cutten, S.M., said it was only a reasonable request and the inquiry was adjourned until 2.15 pm.
Back to top

From the “Evening Post” for 20 June 1922
A big glare in the sky shortly before 5.30 o’clock last evening gave general notice that a big fire had broken out in the city, and people in the vicinity of Upper Willis Street were soon aware that there was a serious outbreak by seeing a burst of flames from a large building. Helpers were quickly on the scene–the Te Aro Cabinet Company’s factory, at 222, Willis Street, occupied by Messrs Robert Keen, B Fox, and John Lovat–and the fire brigade, which received the call at 5.26 p.m., was also quickly in attendance. Fanned by a strong southerly wind the flames spread rapidly, and an adjoining two–storied dwelling, known a No 12, little Buller Street, and occupied by Mrs E Blick, quickly caught on fire. The brigade was successful in preventing the fire spreading to other adjoining houses, but the cabinet factory was totally destroyed and the dwelling house suffered severely.

According to a passer–by, Mr C Lansdown, who assisted with others in endeavouring to prevent the flames spreading to the adjoining houses, the fire brigade had a most strenuous fight, during which the collapse of a portion of the factory placed superintendent Tait and firemen A Rigg and A McStay in a serious plight. All three, however, were extricated from the debris without receiving very much harm. Fireman Rigg was deserving of the highest prise for his action, after being rescued, in going to the assistance of his mate. Both the firemen mentioned received cuts about the hands.

The cause of the fire is not known.

The insurances on the contents of the Te Aro Cabinet Company’s factory totalled £625 in various offices. Other insurances were not available to–day.
Back to top

From the “Evening Post” for 20 June 1922
The fire brigade received a call at 8.40 p.m. to No. 83a, Hill Street, a three–storied wooden and iron dwelling, occupied by Mrs Christina Pherson, and owned by Mr P Romhild. a fire had broken out in the bathroom in which slight damage was done before the flames were extinguished. the cause of the fire, it was stated, was the over–heating of a gas caliphont. The contents were insured in the State Office for £350, and the building in the New Zealand Office for £750.
Back to top

From the “Evening Post” for 20 June 1922
Further argument as to the appeals of Git Ton and Young Suey against their convictions by Mr F K Hunt, S.M., on charges in connection with a police raid on an alleged pakapoo house in Haining Street in February was heard by the Chief Justice, Sir Robert Stout, and Mr Justice Hosking at the supreme Court to–day. The appellants were each fined £100 by the Magistrate, the charges against them being of having been the keepers of a common gaming house and having sold pakapoo tickets.

Mr E G Jellicoe is appearing for the appellants and Mr P S K Macassey for the Crown.

Back to top

From the “Evening Post” Wellington for 22 June 1922
The wreck of the Wiltshire, with almost all her extensive cargo, has caused many unfortunate and irreparable losses. One such became known in Dunedin (says the Daily Times) when the Otago Art Society learned that two paintings for its galley had been shipped by the Wiltshire. Some time ago the society received a bequest of £50 from Miss Winifred Smith for the purpose of buying a water–colour painting. Mr Alexander Roberts, of Galashiels, brother of Sir John Roberts, kindly undertook to select the particular kind of figured painting the society desired, and took great pains in the execution of this commission. At length, after a year’s search, he succeeded in securing the picture wanted, and to it he added another picture, which he presented to the society. Both were by Scottish artists. It is considered almost certain that they were insured, but this is one of the cases in which insurance money is but a poor compensation for the loss sustained.
Back to top

From the “Evening Post” for 13 May 1926
During recent years a number of the more remote islands under New Zealand control have been given wireless communication with the outer world, thus bringing some of the distant and little known parts of the Dominion and her dependencies into closer touch.

With the advent of a fuller system of education in the islands, the difficulties of the past in staffing these stations have been overcome. Several of the stations erected in recent years have been staffed and run successfully by native lads trained for the purpose–some at the wireless schools of the Dominion, but latterly at the main radio stations at Rarotonga and Apia. These lads show great aptitude for the work, and are giving very satisfactory service at various points in the Cook Group.

It is now intended to connect the recently taken over Tokelau (or Union) Group with wireless to enable the islands of Atafu, Nukunono, and Fakaofe to connect with Apia. Recent tests have proved very satisfactory over the 300 miles separating the islands from Samoa, and the type of plant to be used is remarkable for its simplicity and cheapness of construction. Three lads from the Union Group are at present undergoing training to take charge of these stations, before the end of the year.

It is also proposed later to establish wireless communications with Pearhyn, the most northerly point of the Dominion’s territories, which is situated only nine degrees south of the equator
Back to top

From “Evening Post” Wellington for 3rd August 1928
The wisdom of maintaining “silent nights” at the New Zealand stations remains questionable. Various reasons have been given for the practice – the necessity for overhauling the stations, the desire to enable listeners to tune in distant stations, and the extra cost.
None of these reasons is, in the writer’s opinion valid, and he is satisfied that the silent nights should be abolished. Other broadcasting organisations do not find it necessary to close down weekly for overhaul, though they operate for much longer hours than the New Zealand stations. The main Sydney and Melbourne stations run approximately twice as long in a week as 2YA does, and seem to have no trouble in operating seven days a week.
On the second score, it can be quite safely said that fewer people hear distant stations with any satisfaction on the local “silent night” than at other times. Any good value receiver suitable for long distance reception can be used, when the local station is operating to listen to some at least of the outside stations. On the silent night, every value receiver seems to come into the struggle, and anyone who has regard for his sense of hearing promptly shuts down. The one value and the detectors and audio amplifier receivers make a poor job of distant reception, and the howlers neither hear the broadcasting nor let anyone else hear it. Consequently the silent night, as a means of enabling people to get outside stations is a fraud.
The cost of the extra night’s transmission is no doubt the real obstacle. No one would urge that the station staff should work seven days a week, and the extra night’s transmission thus represents added expense. But the expense need not be great, because it would not only be possible, but actually in all probability popular, if the company provided one full evening programme a week of gramophone music. There is a large supply of very fine gramophone records which broadcast very well, and the gramophone programmes might be either of high–class music or dance music.
The writer has previously advocated the abolition of the silent night, and has received many verbal endorsements of his views, and no opposition from listeners. If there are listeners who find the off night welcome, we would be interested to hear from them.
Back to top

From the “Evening Post” for 24 August 1926
By Telegraph, Special Auckland, This Day
Of 586 passengers on board the Corinthic, expected to arrive this evening from London and Southampton, 359 are assisted immigrants. There are 31 public school boys for Flock House, and 49 boys who are coming out under the Salvation Army’s farming scheme, of these 28 will go to Putaruru, and the remainder to various farms in the North Island. There are also 26 domestic servants. The destinations of the party are:- Auckland, 123; Gisborne, 4; Napier, 9; New Plymouth, 16; Wellington, 136; Nelson, 1; Westland, 7; Greymouth, 10; Lyttelton, 26; Port Chalmers, 18; Bluff, 9, Total, 359.

Also on board the Corinthic are ten passengers who originally booked for New Zealand by the steamer Port Kembla, which was wrecked at San Salvador. They are: Mesdames L. R. Oxendale, M. G. Ivory, G. M. Cogger, Misses K. Quayly, L. M. Ivory, S. J. and D. M. Cooger, Messrs. L. R. Oxendale, T. Quayle, and D. Boverrie
Back to top

From the “Evening Post” for 18 June 1927

(United Press Association–Copyright) (Received 16th June, 11 am)
SYDNEY, This Day
Giving evidence before the Royal Commission on Wireless, Mr Fisk, referring to the Research department of Amalgamated Wireless, said that the staff was now working upon an entirely new method of secret transmission, which might be useful for war purposes. Mr Fisk claimed that the department had been in touch with many leaders of radio research throughout the world, and said that although they were doing this work for the benefit of the public and their commercial service, in the event of war they would have an organisation which could hold its own with any country in the world. It would be the only thorough wireless organisation in the Pacific Ocean.
Back to top

From the “Taranaki Herald” for 14 December 1954
If 88 year old Mrs M. Jones, of Grey Street, Waitara, ever decides to hold a full scale family reunion for her children, she will have to hire an outsize hall. Her descendants now total 193 - or it may be 198. No one is quite certain.

It began with Mrs Jones marriage for she and her husband raised a family of 19. Sixteen of them are still living. The 19 children presented their mother with 66 grandchildren, and their 66 grandchildren added to the score 110 great grandchildren. Or it may be 115. Mrs Jones and various members of her tremendous family were a little uncertain yesterday and the task of checking them all off was obviously impossible.

A fifth generation has now been added with the birth of a son, Garry, to Mr and Mrs Colin Limmer, son and daughter in law of Mr Jack Limmer, oldest daughter of Mrs Jones.

Mrs Jones was born in New Plymouth, near Coronation Hall in Gill Street, but since the age of 12 she has lived in Waitara. At 88, she is today a small and lively woman, a little inclined to forget the exact details of her family, but hoping that she does not go on to be 100.

She recalled that she and her husband wasted no time in producing their large family. Of the 16 sons and daughters still alive, about eight are living in Waitara, one is in New Plymouth and “I can’t think where the rest are, they’re scattered around somewhere.” There are some grandchildren in Australia. Commenting on the arrival of her first great great grandchild, Mrs Jones paused to wonder how many more there would be.

One thing is certain. Waitara people are careful what they say to one person about another because of the strong possibility that they are related. It is almost certain that if you speak to a Jones, a Limmer, a Crowe, a Thomas, an Ayton or a Crowley you are speaking to a relative of Mrs Jones by descent or marriage.

At present the approximate total age of Mrs Jones, her children, her children’s children, her children’s children’s children and her children’s children’s children’s child is 5900 years. On that basis, certain failing memory by any members of the family are excusable.

Photo with the following caption Five Generations of a Waitara family are posed for this photograph. At left is Mrs M. Jones, of Grey Street, at the right is her daughter, Mrs E. M. Limmer, of Domett Street. Behind Mrs Jones is Mrs Limmer’s son, Mr Jack Limmer, and standing with him is his son, Mr Colin Limmer. On his great great grandmother lap is Mr Colin Limmer’s son, Garry.
Back to top

From “The Otago Daily Times” for 13th July 1956
Amateur radio operators throughout New Zealand answering the “CQ” call of Station ZL2AVH will have an interesting item to enter in their logs, because the amateur with whom they will speak will be transmitting from an iron lung in the Wairau hospital.
Some time ago Mr W. J. Hayward, a well–known Blenheim dentist, was afflicted by poliomyelitis and for the past two or three months has been confined to an iron lung.
To help him pass the time, friends conceived the idea of linking him with his home in Blenheim by radio. Now after many technical difficulties have been ironed out, Mr Hayward can speak not only to his family, but also to his people in Wellington and to radio amateurs throughout the country.
Mr Hayward operates his XC1 transmitter–receiver through a special switch inside his iron lung. The set itself is mounted beside the lung, with the microphone fixed to the lung above his head and earphones under his pillow. Mr Hayward transmitted nationally for the first time last night when he spoke to a Wellington amateur.
At prearranged times Mr Hayward will now be able to speak to and hear from his family. They will speak to him through a transmitter next door and to which an extension speaker has also been run into their home. Similarly, Mr Hayward will be able to speak to his people in Wellington. For the rest of the day he is free to “scan the band.”
Guiding light behind the project was Mr M. E. Spiers, who this morning paid a tribute to all who ahs assisted him. Mrs Hayward considers that the radio link is “just marvellous.”
Mr hayward who had no previous experience with radio, was granted a provisional amateur radio transmitter’s licence by the Postmaster–general.
Back to top

From “The Press” Christchurch for 28 August 1956
(From a Reuter Correspondent) OTTAWA
The Canadian Minister of National Defence (Mr Ralph Campney), has made public some details of a new technique which has been developed here to make use of meteor trails for delivering of long distance messages by radio. Fantastic as it may sound to laymen, the technique has been proved practical after four years of development and testing. Although further testing is in progress it has already been shown that messages can be transmitted successfully over a distance of up to 1000 miles. The Project had the code name of “Janet.” Principal credit is given to Dr P A Forsyth who, with associates at the Shirley Bay laboratories of the Defence Research Board, worked out the technique after he had visualised the possibility of using individual meteor trails from the ionosphere as a communication aid.

Hundreds of meteors enter the earth’s atmosphere every hour. They leave behind them trails of charged particles, at a height of about 60 miles, which can reflect radio waves. Dr Forsyth and his fellow workers discovered that these trails can be used for communicating between distant points on the earth’ surface, up to 1000 miles. They developed a system for “bouncing” radio waves off the charged particles in the meteor trails. The layman is familiar with the occasional large meteor which flashers across the sky, but the ones used in the “Janet” system are tiny particles about the size of a pinhead which nevertheless, leave distinguishable trail of electrons behind.

“Relatively Simple” Equipment
The Defence department describes the equipment required for transmission as “relatively simple” and adds that “because the method is reliable and uses low power equipment, efficient and economical long range, communication systems for all–season use are definitely a possibility.” “Janet” uses frequencies hitherto used only for short distance transmissions such as television broadcasts. These frequencies are less crowded than those used for long distance work. Therefore, in effect, the development opens up a new band for long distance messages. In operation, two ground stations are set up at great distances apart. Both employ “electronic brain” computer techniques which have been developed primarily in connexion with computing Systems. The equipment detects the presence of meteors through the emission of a constant electronic pulse into the atmosphere. A disturbance indicates a meteor. When the circuit detects a suitably located meteor trail, the message previously stored at one station is automatically transmitted to the other end of the circuit.

The system has been described as being rather like firing a bullet (the message) which–ricochets off a wall (the meteor trail in the upper atmosphere) and is caught at the other end. Each meteor can be used only for about a second. Therefore, transmission has to be done in small bursts at very high speeds. And the transmission speed is much too high to be received by standard teletype equipment. Therefore, the incoming message has to be stored, slowed down to normal speed by a series of “electronic brains” unscrambles, and printed at normal speed between bursts of transmissions. The longest and most complicated messages have to be handled only in bursts. However, the frequent presence of meteors in the upper atmosphere permits transmission of long messages in a comparatively short period. One of the advantages of “Janet” is that it is relatively independent of ionospheric conditions such as the presence of Aurora Borealis, which causes much disturbance to some transmission methods. This is of especial importance to Canada since much of its Northland and its most vital defence areas lie inside the Aurora belt. For example, the Canadian–American distance early warning line of radar defence lies far north of civilisation.

1952 Investigations
Project “Janet“ was the outcome of Upper atmosphere studies, including meteor investigations, made at the Radio Physics Laboratory at Shirley Bay in 1952. The first two way transmission was effected in 1953, between Shirley Bay and Port Arthur, Ontario, a distance of more than 600 miles. A year later, the first teletype message by “Janet” was sent from Shirley Bay to Halifax, Nova Scotia, roughly 500 miles. On the radio physics Laboratory group associated with Dr Forsyth were Dr E L Vogan, London, Ontario; Mr W C Collins, Toronto; Mr D R Hansen, Viscount, Saskatchewan; Mr C O Hines, Toronto; Dr L L Campbell, Winnipeg, and Mr J K Grierson, formerly of Yorkshire. Defence authorities in Britain and the United States have been kept fully informed of “Janet” developments and have encouraged the Canadian effort. Other Commonwealth countries have expressed great interest. The National Defence Department says that the “successful development of the principle will provide Canada’s armed services and possibly civilian users in the future, with a secure, highly reliable low–power form of communications.”
Back to top

From “The Ashburton Guadian” Ashburton 26th August 1957
(P.A.) New Plymouth, August 23
Flowers, telegrams, and letters today flowed into Ward 6 of New Plymouth Hospital, where Mrs Elizabeth Ann Lobb celebrated her 100th birthday.
Mrs Lobb was born in Cornwall and came to New Zealand 75 years ago to marry Mr Joseph Lobb, who had settled in New Plymouth three years earlier. Mr Lobb died in 1919.
Mrs Lobb has been in hospital for six weeks with a broken hip, but her general health is reported to be good.
She enjoyed a family celebration at the hospital this afternoon.
Mrs Lobb has five sons and a daughter, 27 grandchildren, 66 great children, and 34 great grandchildren. Another son died 10 months ago
Back to top